along with Mark 5:21-43
|Early Depiction of Jesus and the Woman with Hemorrhages|
Catacombs of Rome
- I was born and raised in Saint Aloysius, Pewee Valley.
- Attended the parish grade school there.
- From there I went to Saint X and on to UofL where I got a degree in history.
- Within 2 years I had more formally discerned the path of priesthood and began at Saint Meinrad Seminary where I just graduated from last month.
- My little brother, Kurtis, a few days after Christmas 2012 took his life.
- I too have struggled with a history of depression and mental illness.
- I had developed a habit of self medicating with alcohol before my brothers death.
- That destructive habit increased after my brother’s death.
- Even with all of that I thought I was ready for and was ordained a deacon in April of 2013.
- November of 2013 I made a mistake, drank way too much, drove, put myself and others at terrible risk, was in an accident which thank God involved no other vehicle but mine.
- I was hospitalized and placed under a psychiatric evaluation and spent a couple of days at Our Lady of Peace
- After that I went to a treatment center for several months where I worked on my alcohol abuse and emotional difficulties.
- I have payed my debt to society for my mistake and I am working on seeing it as a blessing even though I deeply regret that I put myself and others in danger. I have not taken a drink since.
- I returned to seminary but decide that ordination in May was just too soon.
- So here I am, I remain in preparation for the priesthood and I sincerely hope that comes in December.
|Albrecht Dürer (1471-1528) Study of Feet of Apostle|