The Mission of Harvesters Wanted:

To spread the Good News of JESUS CHRIST in word and in action! As well as promoting the baptismal call of all the faithful to follow whatever vocation our God has called them to!

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age. ~ Matthew 28:19-20

The place to find homilies and reflections given along the path of faith by Fr. Adam Carrico, a Roman Catholic priest of the Archdiocese of Louisville.

When this life is complete, I pray they say I lived For The Greater Glory of God +AMDG+

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ the King


Homily for 34th Sunday of Ordinary, Year C
Cathedral of the Assumption,
Louisville, KY

November 24, 2013


Two weeks ago now there was a man standing out on Shelbyville Rd. right in front of the mall. He may still be out there for all I know; this may, in fact, be his plan from now until Christmas. Coincidently, or more likely with no coincidences at all, he was standing in front of Chick-fil-a there at the intersection. To ease your possible concerns: no, this is not a homily about Chick-fil-a or their policies and opinions. This man was, however, holding a sign in big black permanent marker that read: Christianity has failed. He was just there on the sidewalk, going back and forth, holding his sign, Christianity has failed. Now the thought crossed my mind: maybe he was using reverse psychology or maybe he truly believes Christianity has failed. All the same I did find it rather ironic as a relatively young man sitting in my vehicle wearing my collar, actively preparing to take on a lifelong calling to priestly ministry. I thought ‘I’m living proof that Christianity has not failed’ and in my arrogance I thought, much like the Roman soldiers in the gospel, ‘show me your proof!’. My thought was arrogant because Christianity has indeed failed: failed to meet this young man’s expectations, failed to entertain, failed to give simple answers to life’s complex questions, failed to meet the criterion of truth that this world itself doesn't even belief. In the world's eyes, Christianity failed in the beginning and will always fail.

The parallel with today’s Gospel is almost painful. Christ may as well have hung on that cross with a sign that not only said ‘King of the Jews’ but also a sign that read ‘I have failed!’ There, surrounded by his enemies and with only a precious few loved ones in sight, it looked like failure to all present. Where was the sense in all of this? Even one of the criminals pointed out the failure of Jesus. A man in the same position had the daring to point out how Jesus seemed to be a failure. Those witnessing these events at the time were pulled into thoughts of failure, how then are we to view the crucifixion as anything other than failure? It is so easy to see Jesus hanging on that cross and see failure, missed opportunities, and hard truths.

Our Lord Jesus Christ the King of the Universe 

We are blessed to know the other side of the story, however. Humanity would have been blessed enough to have Christ born as one of us. We would have been blessed enough to have him die for our sins. God, however, was not finished pouring out his grace upon us for Christ rose from the dead and resurrected humanity with him. Today we celebrate the solemnity of Christ the King. It is important to remember all that our king has done for us. Christ also did not leave the sign of his torture behind. He carries his cross still as an invitation for us to see within our own suffering the loving presence of Jesus.

That young man on the street corner, it would be easy to see him in a simple light. God helped me look deeper, however, and I resented him and I loved him at the same time. I could feel his search for meaning, and I was sad knowing that that search, with that attitude, will always leave him empty handed. Only the king can give meaning, especially when that king has a cross for a throne. It might be naïve, but I hope that young man was using reverse psychology; I hope he was saying one thing with the intention of getting people to realize the opposite. If the young man at the intersection was using reverse psychology, if the divine plan somehow incorporates appearing one way but being another, if the truth is hidden in this way: are you willing to be tricked into surrendering to a king on a cross?



No comments: