The Mission of Harvesters Wanted:

To spread the Good News of JESUS CHRIST in word and in action! As well as promoting the baptismal call of all the faithful to follow whatever vocation our God has called them to!

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age. ~ Matthew 28:19-20

The place to find homilies and reflections given along the path of faith by Fr. Adam Carrico, a Roman Catholic priest of the Archdiocese of Louisville.

When this life is complete, I pray they say I lived For The Greater Glory of God +AMDG+

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Lion, Prowling in the Darkness:


This past summer at Philmont Scout Ranch, during the Saint George Trek, my crew and I had an encounter with a mountain lion. The crew debriefed the next day, and I was concerned that part of the discussion included a realization that while we were in danger, we had little other choice but to hike late in the day and into the dark. It was during this discussion that I began to wonder about how people would respond to my telling of the story.

If you haven’t heard me tell the story, basically: we were stalked for two hours (four miles), mostly in the dark, and it has been the scariest experience in my life thus far. I knew that many would be skeptical because I personally did not actually see the mountain lion, I only heard rustling of leaves around us, and I was relying on the my teenage companions for their accounts of actually having seen the lion. It was this realization, that some may not believe me, that made me wonder about skepticism when it comes to a lion of a different sort.


It has often been said that the devil prefers that we not believe in him; that it is in our unbelief that he is most effective. Just like the lion that I encountered, this lion prefers to prowl around in the darkness, not letting his presence known until it is too late. Saint Ignatius describes the devil, the fallen state of the world, and the power of original sin (along with its remnants) as the enemy. It is often helpful to think of the three along the same lines; as that which strives to attract us to sin and away from God.


Of course it is possible to mistakenly see a lion in the darkness that is not really there; nevertheless it is the lack of light that makes it possible for doubt to exist. In my experience it was the lack of light in the darkness that made it all the more terrifying, and my weak flashlight was not enough to reassure me. What provided the reassurance I needed were those who were with me… the twelve of us made our way through the darkness together, scared but safe.

Perhaps it is best to rely on the light of Christ, found in and of itself, and in each other, to show us what is really out there; instead of relying on our own skepticism and judgment we could rely on God to reveal the way.


  1. First Photo: Philmont Scout Ranch, setting sun near Hunting Lodge
  2. Second Photo: Philmont Scout Ranch, Rising sun over Cimarroncito Reservoir before our morning Mass, Saint George Trek 2011

No comments: